"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it..."

_________________________________________________________________

I'm off again! This time to the Island of Hispaniola. I'll be spending the next 6 weeks studying at a university in Santiago, Dominican Republic and loving life in the Caribbean. As promised, I will do my best to keep you all updated on my adventures. I'd definitely love to hear from you all as well! (sadiemae319@gmail.com)
_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, January 6, 2008

HOME SWEET HOME!

I MADE IT!  Thanks to everyone who was thinking about me.  I've been so overwhelmed by how worried everyone has been.  I had no idea!  Thanks for all your thoughts while I was away.

The trip back was long and of course not without excitement.  It was so hard to leave the orphanage, especially since the kids were all still asleep and as much as I was dying to see them one last time I couldn't.  Although seeing them probably would have made it harder, so maybe it was for the best.

I left early enough in the morning that we didn't run into any riot-trouble on the way to the airport.  Although that's not to say there wasn't any trouble.  I got totally ripped off by the taxi driver and ended up leaving all of my Kenyan shillings (as well as a piece of my mind) with the driver, but I guess that's not the worst that could've happened.  Plus those extra shillings wouldn't do me much good now.  Not to mention, it makes for a good story.

My flight out of Nairobi was hilarious.  Between the little girl in front of me who whined loudly and continuously throughout the flight (she was adorable enough that it didn't bother me too much) and the crazy man to my right who mumbled under his breath about the girl the entire time until finally standing up and exploding on the mother AND the angry (and intoxicated) man behind me who yelled at every stewardess (and I mean every) that walked by about how terrible they were and how they ought to walk right out of the plane, it was definitely entertaining.

I don't think I took a single breath in the London airport until I was sitting at the gate.  I don't think my parents did either.  But I made it.  Not only that, but they upgraded me to "Premium" (not quite first class, but it might as well have been!).  I had a huge leather chair and could stretch my feet as far as I could go and still had room.  Basically, I was loving life the whole way.

From there I stopped in New York for the night although almost without a hotel room as apparently they didn't have a room reserved for me until May(?), but after some begging it all worked out.  After a couple hours of sleep and a short flight I was back in Cincinnati.  But of course with no luggage.  But I was so glad to be back and safe and was exhausted enough that it didn't matter too much.  Luckily they found my luggage and delivered it this afternoon, so it's all good.

I ended up blowing off classes on Friday after realizing what a horrible idea it was to think I would be up for doing anything but sleeping.  I head back tomorrow with Sam who is planning on staying a couple nights so he can watch the big game on Monday!  (O-H....!)

Well it's late and while I have so much more to write, it's going to be put off again until tomorrow.  But I promise, a ton of fun stories (and pictures) will be coming soon!

Before I go, I just wanted to thank EVERYONE who supported me (and more importantly supported my parents) through all of this.  It meant so much to know so many people back home were thinking about me!  I really feel so lucky.  I can't thank you all enough!  :)

2 comments:

TOM @ LOU ANN KRESS said...

SADIE,

IT IS ONLY APPRORPRIATE THAT YOU
HAD TO BEG FOR YOUR ROOM IN NEW YORK SINCE YOU HAD ACQUIRED A PHD
IN BEGGING AT HEATHROW.

LOVE

GRAMPA

KAK said...

Welcome home Sadie. We're all breathing easier. I'm sure your next venture will seem like child's play in comparison to this trip!

Love,
Aunt Kathy