"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it..."

_________________________________________________________________

I'm off again! This time to the Island of Hispaniola. I'll be spending the next 6 weeks studying at a university in Santiago, Dominican Republic and loving life in the Caribbean. As promised, I will do my best to keep you all updated on my adventures. I'd definitely love to hear from you all as well! (sadiemae319@gmail.com)
_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 10, 2008

One last post...


Okay...so a lot of people have been asking when I'm going to finish this thing up.  And to be honest, life has been really crazy and I never seem to have time to do, well, anything.  So I've decided to write one last post with a couple highlights and the rest of my pictures.

Just about every person I've talked to since I've been back has asked me what the best part of my trip was. And hands down, it was all of the kids I met. I know I've said it, but not enough...the kids were absolutely amazing. Just hearing them laugh and seeing them play together like any other kids would...I don't know. After hearing about what some have them had been through, even the smallest smile was so incredible to me. Throughout my time there, I learned each of their stories. And with every story I heard I found myself even more overwhelmed and inspired by how beautiful each child was.  I wish I had time to tell you about each one of them, but unfortunately pictures will have to do.





Beyond the kids, there were of course so many other amazing things I was able to experience that I also will never forget. I got to spend Christmas Eve at another nearby orphanage (with almost 200 children) and had a ball playing with the children all day, finding myself amazed when something as simple as new shoes for each of them was all they needed for Christmas to put the biggest smiles on their faces. I even got to play basketball (or more like get my **tusch kicked --haha happy grampa? -- trying to play basketball) against some local people, and although I pretty much made a fool of myself, I felt too excited that they had actually wanted me to join them to care (not to mention, I did make a basket :)). I got to see the countryside and how thanks to the generosity of many and the work of Father John, people’s lives are being changed by access to clean water, something I of course have always taken for granted. I got to go to church and sing and dance in the aisles with everyone, leaving feeling like for once no one cared that I was white or “mazungo,” we were just there to pray (and party). As scary or inconvenient as it may have been, I got to be there to see the post-election trouble first-hand, and more importantly see how it affected those trying to go on with their lives despite it. Most unforgettably, I got to visit a slum where I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of suffering and destitution, but even more so by the bright smiles and the amazing resilience of the people, as they faced the struggles of each day and found happiness despite the adversity. But most importantly of all, I got to spend three weeks far outside of my comfort zone and everything I knew, and got to meet amazing people, every single one of whom opened my eyes to something else I had never thought of and a way of life I otherwise never would have really understood.

I can’t even begin to say how lucky I feel to have had this opportunity. Looking back on it all, I don’t think I could have possibly had a better experience. I know that this amazing opportunity would not have been possible without the help of so many people, and for that I am so grateful – to everyone I met there, everyone who helped me get there (yes, I guess that would include the Heathrow airport), and especially to everyone back home who supported me through all of this (and even worried themselves sick…). It has really made me realize how lucky I am to have so many amazing people in my life, even those who were only there for three weeks.

As I finish, I wish I could explain how much this trip meant to me. But all I can say is that it has truly changed my life. The way that I see certain things, the way that I think about my life, it really will never be the same. And for that, I feel so blessed.



Oh, and for the many who have joked “where to next?”…unfortunately for my parents’ sanity, I’m headed out again in March -- El Salvador, here I come! (Followed by an eventual trip back to Kenya of course. :) )

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sades-
thanks for this beautiful post---you were blessed with a wonderful experience and we are all blessed with your sharing of it. we are so proud of you--
love,
mom and dad

TOM @ LOU ANN KRESS said...

SADIE,

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. WHY WEREN'T THERE ANY PICTURES OF YOUR BUS TRIP IN LONDON?

UNFORTUNATELY, YOUR GRANDMOTHER WILL NEVER LOOK AT THEM BECAUSE YOU USED THE "B---" WORD IN YOUR DESCRIPTION. YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID YOU GOT YOUR TUSCH KICKED IN BASKETBALL.

LOVE
GRAMPA