"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it..."

_________________________________________________________________

I'm off again! This time to the Island of Hispaniola. I'll be spending the next 6 weeks studying at a university in Santiago, Dominican Republic and loving life in the Caribbean. As promised, I will do my best to keep you all updated on my adventures. I'd definitely love to hear from you all as well! (sadiemae319@gmail.com)
_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Far Away from London...Finally!!!

Hey everyone! So I finally made it to Nairobi. While there is quite the dramatic story I could tell, my time is pretty limited as I am in a Cybercafe in the city with only 50 shillings to my name (it's a Kenyan holiday - they have those when it can make things more difficult for me it seems - so I haven't been able to exchange any money). I'm watching the time tick away and the money I owe add up, so I'll have to make this quick.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I made it in one piece. Like i said, London was pretty much just terrible. However, I'm sure that when I look back on this trip, my troubles in London will be the last thing I remember. In a way, I'm kind of glad I went through it all. No matter how miserable my 36+ hours there may have ended up being, all I know is that once I finally held my plane ticket to Nairobi in my hand, I couldn't have possibly felt greater feelings of excitement, relief, and complete happiness. (Even if I could only feel those feelings for a second, as I was instructed to sprint to security and through the huge Heathrow airport to find my gate with only 35 minutes to takeoff and 5 minutes from when the gate would close...) But all that matters is I made it! It wasn't until I sat down in my seat that it finally sunk in that I was actually going to Kenya. After months of planning and years of dreaming, it was finally real. I took a deep breath (the first good one since I had been in London :) ) and smiled the biggest smile I ever have.

The flight was awesome. I ended up sitting between 2 guys from Nairobi whose band had actually just been named "The Most Talented Band in the World" by the BBC network. They were so much fun. I hooked them up with some Tabloid magazines and they hooked me up with some great information and a lot of Swahili (including telling me NOT to say 'Jambo' unless I wanted to look like a total tourist - as if my appearance doesnt give that away already...).
They were so friendly and really gave me a good feeling about where I was headed. When they heard what I was going there to do, they were so encouraging. I wish I had written down some of things they had said about the beauty of the people in Kenya, but everything they shared made me more excited to get there and even more confident about my choice to do this. I really feel so lucky to have met them. The flight flew by and was over before I knew it. However not before I got to see the sunrise. It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. I wish I could explain it, but nothing I could say would ever do it justice. The horizon began with the brightest orange and faded to a deep deep purple. It was amazing.

Anyways, enough about London and the flight. I'm sure you'll all be happy (and some maybe even surprised) to know that Pastor Ian actually does exist! And he actually showed up at the airport to get me. Not only does he exist, but he is truly amazing. He has the biggest smile I have ever seen. He was very friendly and I felt welcomed and comfortable immediately. I found at that I am actually staying at a hostel that he runs with his family for my week of orientation. His family is just as amazing as he is. His wife, Edith, teaches us classes and is so sweet. And they have 3 children, all of which are just beautiful. I really feel comfortable there and completely safe. There are 2 other girls with me at the hostel right now, Laura and Becky. They are also very nice and it has been fun going through all ofthis with them. I have learned so much in the past 2 days from Edith. Yesterday I had to have a double session to catch up with the other girls since I missed the first day of class. So after another day of class, I feel like my brain just might explode, although my Swahili is really improving so it's all worth it.

Unfortunately, I am pretty much out of time. But I have so much more I wish I could share about my time here so far (including my first Mutatu ride...oh my goodness was it fun)! I guess it will have to wait until next time. Hopefully I'll have a chance to write again in the next couple of days! I just wanted to let you all know I'm here and safe and LOVING IT!

ps - for those who have emailed THANKS! I proooomise I'll get back to youu next time. When I have the money to do it. ;) I love you all!

8 comments:

Emily said...

It sounds amazing! Congratulations on getting out of London! Take care and have a wonderful time.

TOM @ LOU ANN KRESS said...

SADIE
YOU MUST STILL BE UNDERSLEPT AND DELIRIOUS. NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER DESCRIBED A MUTATU RIDE AS FUN.

LOVE

GRAMPA

Anonymous said...

Haha Sadie, now that you are there, I'm allowed to tease you again. You know when you asked me for advice the other day before you took off? #1 would have been "don't leave the airport" and #2 would have been "watch out for mutatus!!!"

In the immortal words of Toto,

AAAAAAA-FRICA!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hi sadie!
you sound great! stay safe and know that we love you!
love,
mom

Tracie said...

Sadie! You are amazing in every way. You'll have so much fun these next weeks and I can't wait to hear stories!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sadie, so much fun reading about your adventures so far. We will for sure have to have you over for dinner (finally) to hear it all first hand! Love, AUnt Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi Sadie,
You sound like you're having a great time!!! At least for the moment the pressure is off....not that I expect or desire anymore excitement.

We're thinking of you....lots of love...Gramma

Anonymous said...

Well said.