"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it..."

_________________________________________________________________

I'm off again! This time to the Island of Hispaniola. I'll be spending the next 6 weeks studying at a university in Santiago, Dominican Republic and loving life in the Caribbean. As promised, I will do my best to keep you all updated on my adventures. I'd definitely love to hear from you all as well! (sadiemae319@gmail.com)
_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 20, 2007

I wish I had more time!!!

Hey again! I'm back! And I have money. Phew! (Mom and Dad, you can now breathe easy....or easier i guess :) )

Things are still going great! I actually had my last lesson with Edith today. I can't believe how much i've learned in just these few days. It's a lot more fun to be in the city and actually be able to understand what people are saying. And even more fun when I can surprise them and actually respond back with Kiswahili!

Nairobi is such a cool city. Downtown is a lot different than I had expected it to be. It's actually a lot like the big cities in America (only a lot of street vendors and a LOT more people). We came into town to exchange some money and to buy a SIM card to put in my phone so that I could keep in touch with Edith and Pastor Ian and the other girls I'm staying with this week once we all leave for our different projects on Sunday.

Tonight we're cooking dinner for everyone (Laura, Becky, and I). I'm not sure how it's going to go, seeing as we still havent decided what we're making...not to mention i'm not the greatest of cooks But it will be fun. There is a woman who lives at the house named Esther who usually cooks for us. She is one of the sweetest most kind-hearted people I have ever met. Just so gentle-natured and always smiling. She told us that in exchange for us cooking dinner, she would teach us how to cook some of the meals she has made. Hopefully she doesn't decide to take that back once she tastes what we end up throwing together. :)

Tomorrow we are going to spend the day visiting different places (parks, bomas - I'll explain this more later, and other fun places). I'm really excited. We also found out today that on Saturday we will be going to the wedding of one of Edith's friends. I really can't wait! And feel so lucky that we will get to experience that.

Well that's all the time I have for now! I still haven't talked about the Matatu (for those who have no idea what the heck this Matatu thing is I keep mentioning, it's kind of like a bus...only not at all)...fortunately the story will be even more exciting as on our way here today, our Matatu broke down! Hopefully something else will happen on the way home and I'll hae even more to share. :)

Kwaheri! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Habare!!

Have I told you lately how proud I am of you? Also I am pretty jealous. Did you have to sit on anyone's lap in the matatu? Jane asked if you were having fun in Texs.

Love,

Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sadie.
I don't know any cool greetings like my sister.

Was the band on the plane "Yunasi"? They were written up on the BBC Website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december/13/thing.shtml)

We're so happy that you made it safely and love reading your blog.

We'll miss you at XMas but am sure you'll have a great time.

Go Bucks! We hope that they have the "Big Ten Network" in the house you're staying. If not, what a rip.

Hope Texas is fun.

Love,
Uncle Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey Sades!!! Glad to hear everything is going good, cant wait to hear about everything when you come home. A cbus trip will definitely be in order to catch up. Miss ya cuz!!
~Abby

Anonymous said...

Sadie C...
So I had no idea that you are in Africa!! I am not in the least bit surprised though and I'm very proud of you and excited for you! Our parents luckily ran into each other at a party and your mom e-mailed me with this website.
I'm glad you're loving it there and I hope you don't have any more experiences like the one in London!
Have a merry Christmas and we must hang out soon!... it's seriously been like a year :(
Anyway, have a wonderful time and I hope we can find time to catch up soon!
Can't wait to read more, love you!!
Andie B

KAK said...

Hi Sadie! Merry Christmas! I'm sure your celebrations will be memorable! Thanks for keeping us up to date on your doings! Be safe and post pictures, if you can.

Love,
Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sadie, just wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas. This one will be unforgetable.
Love, All the Gehrings